Thursday, September 16, 2010

Prayers are Answered!

Where to begin?
So, last night I prayed that the Lord would show me where the boys should go to school. At home, at another school, or tough out North Woolmarket? I knew when I went to bed that I was going to call a nearby school, Woolmarket Elementary, and maybe drive by and visit today. So, after we dropped off the boys we drove over there. It's an old school. They are celebrating 100 years this year. They had a very large play area and nice equipment so when we got home I called them. The secretary let me know that they were a "sister school" to North Woolmarket and that they ran things in the same manner (no fun). I said, well, the principal really sets the mood for the school and that the principal at North Woolmarket was very high pressure...she interupted me at this point and said be careful what you say- she's my sister-in-law. So I guess they really are a sister school. Scratch that one off the list! So I went to the district map. I looked all over their website trying to find a school nearby that would better fit our needs.
That's when I noticed a white area on the map only 10 minutes from the house. It wasn't part of the Harrison County School District. So I went over to the Biloxi School District Website and found out this white area was North Bay Elementary. I called the school and was immediately impressed with what she was telling me. I left a voicemail for the principal who was in a meeting and she called me back within the hour. She set up a tour for us today. To put this school into one term: AMAZING! I feel bad that we've wasted 5 weeks at North Woolmarket. Here are just some of the things we love about this school...

-Recess, everyday
-Full time Art teacher with her own classroom
-Full time music teacher
-Full time computer teacher with lab
-Fancy computer screens the size of chalkboards that the teachers use like a chalkboard
-A childrens' museum in the school with a Winn Dixie sponsored store and an Outback sponsored restaurant.
- A full kitchen for classes to use for special lessons
-An in house TV studio with closed curcuit TV where 5th graders prepare and deliver the announcements into every classroom
- K-5th grade
-Happy staff
-Happy children
- A progam called Boost, where 45 min a day they go to a special classroom. The advanced kids move ahead in small groups and those struggling get extra attention.
-Art everywhere!
-The grades are grouped in "pods" with a bathroom and common area
- a 5 zoned playground that they rotate through day by day
- still a MS star school which means high test scores across the board
- a new facility which Jeff thinks looks like an airport, ok, I do, too!
-classical music in the hallways.

I could go on, but I want to get to the book I am reading. I am so excited. I feel like I've been a rubberband all twisted up tighter and tighter and tighter, trying to figure out what we were going to do and now I feel like all the tension is gone! Ok, not gone, we still have to get past the school board. We were told that was a formality. They meet the 3rd Tues of the month which is this week (Yay!), but they like all the paperwork one week in advance (Boo!). We are going to jump on it tomorrow and pray for the best. Then there is the matter of tuition...either $500 a year or $1200 a year depending on where you live. We'll know more tomorrow. Wow! So happy!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Those fancy computer chalkboards are smart boards. They are very cool! It sounds like a great school. I hope you can get in. We pay about $400 in school fees every year and we are in district! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, smart boards...didn't have them since I've been teaching, I'm afraid to go back to work and the kids know more about them than I do! Glad to hear that you've found something that better suits your needs. Blake's old school had full time art, music, PE and Spanish teachers...new school doesn't have art and Spanish. Stinks that you'll have to pay that much per kid, plus drive them to school. Hopefully all goes well with the formalities with the school board...keep us posted!

Unknown said...

Oooo, both schools have computer lab teachers as well. However, lab seems to be a pretty big waste of time it seems, don't learn much, just play games.

Michelle said...

our kids do a lot in computer lab. My 4th grader has to turn in power points and lab time is used for that purpose. :)