Tuesday, March 8, 2011

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!


Pre-Deluge!


Jenna yelling for beads! You go, girl!

Today is Fat Tuesday! It's so fun to be on the Gulf Coast during Mardi Gras! There have been 14 parades in the last couple of weeks! We didn't make it to most of them but we made it to tonight's! I am glad we went despite the course of events! We picked up dad from work a little early and headed straight to the route. While Dustin got the kids some dinner I staked us out a pretty awesome spot. The weather was threatening to storm and the forecast called for nasty storms tonight, but weather.com's hourly forecast said we were good to go through parade time. Wouldn't you know it, right as the parade was about to begin we got dumped on! Everyone went running for cover while we huddled under our quilt, hopeful it would pass. While Dustin went to get an umbrella from van, I gave up and took the kids under the McDs awning. He couldn't believe I had "abandoned my post" but I assured him "I left no one behind!" We were soaked through! Thank goodness is was still fairly warm out. I, for one, have webbed feet having grown up in NW Oregon... I don't know if I can call it a parade unless it's raining. I was so pleased with my kids that they kept good attitudes and still had a great time. The heavy rain did pass and we all went back to our spots and the parade started. It was wild! All the floats through lots and lots and lots of stuff! I couldn't believe it. I was ducking from all the stuff coming my way at times! After it was all said and done we had nearly filled a large reusable shopping bag! It really was fun even though we all got so wet! Warm baths were required right when we got home to warm back up! Hopefully next year we can enjoy Mardi Gras without the rain.

No comments: