Friday, February 21, 2014

On the road again...to Utah

On August 6th, we left Utah and headed down to Aunt Linda's with Grandma Pamela, Tara, Aunt Rosalie, Abbey, and Lilly. What a crew! My girls got to ride with Tara and they were so excited. We had a lovely picnic on the way and made it to SLC at around 4pm. Tara drove straight to Linda's while Pamela, Rosalie, the boys, and I stopped at Costco. We pulled into Linda's about an hour and a half after Tara. When I walked in the door Shannon and Tara both told me I had a sick baby. Sure enough Kelsey was sick. She was sickly looking, a little feverish, and breathing a little funny. When we had left Idaho she'd had a little cold and I hadn't thought much of it, but this was much worse. Poor thing. Dustin was flying in late that night and Tara and I went to pick him up. When we all got back Kelsey seemed worse and I didn't like how she was breathing. We put her in our bed, but I couldn't sleep. Finally I woke Tara and asked to use the internet on her phone. I googled something like "breathing trouble in toddlers". I found a youtube video showing three signs of respiratory distress. If your child had ANY of these symptoms you were to head to the hospital immediately. She had ALL THREE! I woke Dustin and we rushed her to the hospital which was thankfully just a few blocks away. They took one look at her and brought her back in immediately while I filled out all the paperwork. She was in respiratory distress. After chest x-rays, and breathing treatments, and oxygen she started to feel better. The doctor said if we had waited any longer they would have had to intubate her. We were there into the morning. The doctor told us that SLC is terrible for people with breathing problems to do an inversion layer in the atmosphere. Her cold was just a cold in Idaho, but she couldn't breathe when she arrived in SLC. So we got an inhaler for while were in SLC and they let us go. Good Grief this kids scares us ALL THE TIME!!! All was well when we left Utah. You can definitely keep that one off the list of places I would like to live!!

No comments: